Get to Know Torrance Memorial IPA
Torrance Memorial IPA is a multi-specialty physician network that has been serving the South Bay community since 1983. Our members benefit from convenient access to high-quality and personalized care with over 500 primary care and specialty physicians, as well as the nationally recognized Torrance Memorial Medical Center.
Your Doctor, Your Hospital, Your Neighborhood
Torrance Memorial IPA isn’t just a medical group that’s in the South Bay; Torrance Memorial IPA is a locally owned and operated non-profit committed to being part of the social fabric of the South Bay community. Our staff lives in South Bay, shares your investment in the neighborhood, and cares about local community issues just like you do. Together, we care for the wellbeing of our South Bay community.
What is an IPA?
IPA stands for independent practice association. Independent physicians are a part of a “physician network” or “medical group.” When you choose an IPA or medical group, you can select a primary care physician as your personal physician, and also have access to all the doctors in the network.
Does Torrance Memorial IPA handle financial coverage of my medical care?
Torrance Memorial IPA is not your insurance provider or health plan. As your medical group, Torrance Memorial IPA provides care that’s covered by your health insurance plan.
Why should I chose Torrance Memorial IPA?
Torrance Memorial IPA has been an active contributor to the South Bay community since 1983, and continues to support residents with unique offerings like self-referral to select specialists, personalized support from a local member services team who are easy to access, and a network of over 500 physicians.
Torrance Memorial IPA was founded in 1983 while dramatic changes were happening in California health care. Working with local doctors, George Graham, the president and CEO of Torrance Memorial Hospital at the time, created a way to increase the quality of patient care while reducing its cost. Together, the physicians formed an independent practice association (IPA) that enabled doctors to practice from their own offices, while collectively contracting with health insurance plans. As a result, Torrance Memorial IPA doctors spend more time providing patients with high quality health care.
Over the years, Torrance Memorial IPA has grown to include many of the area’s top primary care physicians and specialists. Eight major health insurance plans now include the Torrance Memorial IPA network of providers in their health benefit programs. In 2012, Torrance Memorial IPA became a division of Torrance Memorial Health System. Today, Torrance Memorial IPA is widely known as the area’s top medical group.
Recognition & Awards
Torrance Memorial IPA has been honored time and time again for excellence in quality of care. Some of the awards we are proud of:
- Received a 4.5 out of 5 Medicare Advantage star rating based on performance in the Integrated Healthcare Association’s Align. Measure. Perform (AMP) program.
- Newsweek ranked Torrance Memorial the 10th best hospital in California and 40th best hospital in the nation.
- Prestigious 5-STAR Elite Status from Association for Physician Groups (APG) for the 2019 Standards of Excellence™ Survey.
- Top 4-STAR rating on California's Annual Clinical Quality Report Card for our CMS STAR ratings.
- Recognized by SCAN Health Plan as a 2020 Top Performing Medical Group for 5-star performance in quality of care and service.
- Voted “South Bay’s Best Medical Group” by the Daily Breeze readers eight years! (2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2018, 2019 and 2021).